Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Week One: 90% of Your Work

Well, it's that time again and we're all back in school. I think that it's been a little bit tough getting re-adjusted into the school mode because of the long break. One quick way to get shocked into realizing that it's time to work is Salter saying "I want 90% of your work done by the end of this term". I know this got me thinking. I was mainly considering how I can actually judge how much of a percentage that is done.

It's a question that I constantly ask myself anyway...how do I judge my progress as an artist? Is it through the number of works that I create? The times I have drawn and re-drawn a sketch? Anyway, thats a bigger question that will probably take a few to answer. Let's get past the babbling and get to the....

UPDATE:
  • I met with Mr. Murphy this week. He owns the plant in Kushman (just outside of Florence). I went to his office and had an real official meeting with him while he sat in his big leather arm chair. He was a real nice guy and offered me an alternate place to use instead of the initial factory. This could totally change my construction of the project

  • In reference to the first point, my perception of the project has adapted anyway. It has become more and more about the audience, the space itself and the notion of memory in a place rather than about the files themselves. The files were a great jumping off point and will likely be included in the final presentation, but they are not the driving force behind my perception of the project at this time.

  • I have a lot more planned for the following week including what could be a more difficult meeting with Mr. Murphy regarding my choice of plants. We'll see how these go. The next couple images show some conceptual drawing of the space as well as a floorplan. Enjoy and good luck!

Image One:
Image Two:
Image Three:

No comments: